top of page
  • How long do points stay on my record?
    By law, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is required to maintain driver history for five years. Points assessed are removed two years from date of conviction, not the date of the citation. The violation will remain on the record for five years.Three-year records are also maintained for insurance companies to obtain.
  • What about out-of-state citations?
    Out-of-state speeding citations do not transfer points to Kentucky. (This does NOT apply to speeding citations received in a commercial vehicle.) If the citation requirements are not satisfied, Kentucky’s Division of Driver Licensing is notified and sends a letter informing the driver they have 30 days to do so. If the requirements are not satisfied within 30 days, the license is suspended and the driver must pay a $40 reinstatement fee for a new license. All other moving hazardous violation citations received in another state do transfer to Kentucky and the appropriate points are assessed to the driving record.
  • What is different for drivers under age 18?
    Upon accumulating 7 points within a two-year period, a hearing may be conducted and driving privilege may be suspended. New Drivers: Under the Graduated Driver’s License (GDL) Law, if you get a ticket/citation during the Permit or Intermediate phase, the 180-day period will begin anew. You must hold the Permit or Intermediate license for a full, 180-days conviction-free before progressing to the next licensing phase. To check your date of eligibility to take the driver’s exam for a full unrestricted license, visit For more information on the GDL Law, visit or call 502-564-0276.
  • How often do I renew or update my license?
    If you are over age 21, your license must be renewed every four years during your birth month. If under age 21, your license expires on your 21st birthday. You have up to 30 days after your birthday to renew. If the license is expired over 1 year, you must take both the written and eye exam before you renew.
  • What if my address or name changes?
    By law you must obtain a new license with the correct information within ten days of the change or you can be cited for non-compliance.
  • What if I lose my license?
    To replace a lost license, you may need a signed Social Security card, insurance card or policy, birth certificate, or any two pieces of identification which contain a signature, or any other ID required by the Circuit Court Clerk.
  • Can I sign up for traffic school?
    You may be referred by the Courts to attend State Traffic School once every year. For more information call 502-564-0276 or visit
  • How do I sign up for organ donation?
    The organ donor section on the back of your license gives you the opportunity to donate any or all of your body organs to hospitals upon your death. You must also sign up for the organ donor registry at https:// You may also donate $1 to the Trust for Life fund when you renew your license. For more information call 1-800-525-3456.
  • How do I identify a medical alert?
    A decal may be purchased for $1 to alert medical personnel of allergies or physical ailments.
bottom of page